Doctoral Program Funding and Tuition Support Guidelines

All doctoral students in the College of Engineering are admitted under a policy of full support. Master’s students who are approved for a change of program into a doctoral program will receive financial aid at the time of their transfer. As long as standards are achieved and milestones are met, doctoral students who enter with a master’s degree receive four years of guaranteed support, and doctoral students who enter with a bachelor’s degree receive five years of guaranteed support.
The College of Engineering and Rackham have designated special funds for tuition support. Fall or winter tuition support, with GradCare, may be requested for students admitted to any CoE doctoral program.

This tuition support applies only to students in College of Engineering graduate programs, without regard to the home unit of the student’s advisor.

Funding may be requested for:

  • A student who is on an internship; or
  • A student who is required to register due to the requirements of the Rackham Continuous Enrollment policy who would not have had to register under the policies and practices in place prior to the 2010-11 academic year; fall or winter term awards only; or
  • A student who requires funding due to unforeseen circumstances that delay his/her completion of degree or cause an unexpected loss of funding (e.g., equipment breakdown, unanticipated cut in sponsor funding).

The criteria are:

  • Ph.D. Candidate (full tuition) or Pre-candidate (one credit of pre-candidate tuition if needed to keep the student enrolled);
  • Making satisfactory academic progress as judged by program faculty;
  • Not otherwise supported with a GSRA or GSI position or with a fellowship that includes tuition coverage.

The general expectation is that the faculty advisor will provide student funding. If the advisor cannot fully fund a student, the department should provide GSI or fellowship funding. If the department and advisor are unable to provide full funding support, the College will cost share the funding shortfall, or in extraordinary circumstances, provide full funding.

The College or Rackham will provide one term of tuition support for students on internship, and the College may provide cost share support for additional terms of internship.

To request support, the graduate chair or his/her designee should submit a CoE-Student-Financial-Assistance-Request to Tiffany Porties ( Additional funding resources for graduate students can be found at